Friday, October 13, 2006

You Are What You Worship


It's been a while since I last updated my blog. Things have been whirlwind-esque here in the American Himalayas. First, I launched my new self-study course, "Sanskrit for Yogis," at the Yoga Journal Conference in Estes Park. I spent seven solid days on my feet talking with Yogis about why Sanskrit is such a vital part of Yoga's tradition and practice -- and how you don't have to spend years and years (like I did) struggling with Sanskrit's incredibly complex grammar.

Just the arrangement of the sounds works to open the energetic inner core when each is pronounced perfectly.

I also had fun meeting all the luminaries of the Yoga world who were really supportive of "Sanskrit for Yogis." Thanks especially to Gary Kraftsow (www.viniyoga.com), Robert Svoboda (www.drrobertsvoboda.com), Shiva Rea (www.shivarea.com), Judith Lasater (www.JudithLasater.com)...and many more whom I'll mention on my website soon.

Finally, the week of the YJ Conference was also the 9 Nights of the Divine Mother (see previous post). Every morning I woke up super early to chant the most beautiful Sanskrit verses in honor of Devi -- Sri Suktam, Khadgamala Stotra Ratnam, and Lalita Sahasranama. Then as a great boon, our friend Manoj (Unique Arts International) asked us to take a Laksmi murti he had.

Of course I took one look at her and knew I couldn't let her go back in Manoj's truck. It was the 9th day of Navaratri and it felt so auspicious to have her come into our home on that day.

As I was installing her with a bath of rose water and panchamrtam (milk, yoghurt, ghee, honey, and sugar), plus a formal puja it occured to me that external worship of anything just establishes more of who you already are. I thought about all the qualities of Laksmi -- the wealth of wisdom, light, abundance, and happiness -- and realized that her presence in my home just reminded me of what I have.

Here's a few photos of Laksmi's first day in our home.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home